Winter can be one of the hardest times to find your motivation to run. Frigid temperatures, dark nights, and icy conditions can all be running buzz-kills. Here are a few tips to help you keep fit in those long winter months:
1. Make a plan: Staying snug in your bed in the morning, or curled up on your couch after work may feel more inviting than stepping out into the cold. Picking out a spring race and planning a specific time and route for your daily runs makes it easier to follow through.
2. Find a buddy: A running partner can help keep you motivated and accountable. When you know someone else is counting on you to run, it is easier to lace up those shoes and head out the door.
3. Dress for warmer weather: One of the biggest mistakes in winter running is overdressing. A key thing to remember: running creates heat. If you step out the door and you feel warm, you have on too many clothes!
4. Hit the gym: For those of you who are truly cold intolerant, hit up the gym! You can log miles on the treadmill and get your strength-training in all at once.
5. Stay safe: Make sure you wear reflective gear and a headlamp to make yourself seen. And take it easy on the ice- small short steps will help prevent falls.
What other advice do you have for running in the winter?