How to make your New Year’s resolutions last a little longer!
by Coach Jenni Nettik
1. Write down your goals! Keep them somewhere you’ll see them–on the fridge, in your office, on your phone or even broadcast them to the world on social media.
2. Sign-up for your race or event. Now your money and mind have the same goal!
3. Keep a running log or journal. Tracking progress helps keep motivation high. Use an online program like Garmin Connect and your data will automatically upload from your watch to the computer. Know you need support from others? Record your workouts on Instagram or Facebook and use the positive feedback to stay motivated when things get tough. Want to keep it simple? Use my favorite–a Moleskine notebook. Record your accomplishments the old fashion way with a pen & paper.
4. Reward yourself! Set small goals and reward yourself for reaching them. Did you get your long run in even though it was cold and windy? Make time to take a hot bath. Did you workout three days a week for the entire month of January? Get yourself a new pair of Smartwool socks to keep your feet warm during your February runs. Did you squeeze in a morning run even though you despise them? Treat yourself to a cup coffee! The rewards don’t have to be big, just something to tell yourself thank you!
5. Recruit & run with friends. Schedule a weekly friends’ run. Use it as a time to catch-up during the week. If your motivation is running low, chances are someone else will have a little more enthusiasm and you won’t want to disappoint.
6. Join a run club! Lots of shops, bars and restaurants in Denver offer free run clubs. Joining a club like HTB Run Club means you’ll meet other like-minded folks who enjoy socializing, running & drinking beer at the same time and place each week.
7. Get a coach! A coach will help you reach your goals by tailoring a training program to your specific needs. A coach can help keep you strong & healthy by focusing on things you don’t enjoy doing on your own like strength exercises, mobility stretches, speed intervals and hill repeats. A coach also keeps you accountable to someone besides yourself. Mercuria Running is a great place to start your search for a coach. Use the code: NEW YEAR to take 10% off your booking during the month of January.
What helps you stick to your running resolutions?